Friday, August 02, 2019

#workingonus #music "I am the mistress of my pages; the author of my soul" #flashbackfriday





My January 1995 self loved The Pagemaster - and had a vague feeling of Babyface [Kenneth] and Lisa Stansfield was out of my musical purview for at least another six years. [October 2001 - and the tune Been around the world].



You could not imagine a less oriented individual to pop music than I was at that point.



[even though I did Let it be and Octoptus garden in my 8/1994 music talks and Celine Dion's Only one road - probably written by Diane Warren - will check credits by November 1995 as the last talks].



For the better part of three years previously I was finding ambient music very difficult and overloading.



Certain notes and other musical dynamics would trigger me.



Since May 1992 I had been a devoted and idiosyncratic student of the electronic keyboard under a teacher who would introduce me to classical music and to drama.



She was also a key person for me.



I would work on composition; rhythm; timing; phrasing and performance.



I finally ceased piano lessons in July 1998 and I presented my teacher with a song which I wrote.



You can read the song as well and the stage directions which come before and after:



“(The same day. Evening. Rebecca is in her bedroom saying her prayers and giving her sisters black looks. She has the three hundred pounds – or her savings - with her. She is on the bus to London and she writes a letter to Monsieur Reynolds. As she is shopping, the song Varsovie plays in the background.)



SINGER (Rebecca? Female voice? Narrator?): I suppose you had to be there,

to truly understand,

I was starting to get through

With me, you were never alone,

You're right.

You're on your own.

Vive la tolerance – I suppose.

Who's to say we won't be deceived

They say they love difference

There's no question now

About what I see

I had to show myself,

But I know why I believe



Varsovie

Varsovie

The continent

We never knew

Tragic, the memory

The way we used to be

Varsovie

 ”



Excerpt From: Adelaide Eleanor Dupont; Michael Carrington. “A Thousand Miles West.” Apple Books [Carrington Enterprises].



Here is the second excerpt on the next page of the e-book:



“The way it's got to be

Are you sure it has to be



Live and let live

Even in yor own world

But keep reaching out there

Already it seems so long ago

The way we were, when I heard your call

You really tried, even here you did your best

It's not going to be the end

Resist weakness – my friend –

do your best to stay strong,

Make sure no-one knocks you down

You won't have to worry – you'll be home before long



Varsovie

Varsovie

The continent

We never knew

Tragic, the memory

The way we used to be

Varsovie



(Meanwhile, back in Cambridge. Evening. A few days later, so it's had time to sink in. The dining room.)”



Excerpt From: Adelaide Eleanor Dupont; Michael Carrington. “A Thousand Miles West.” Apple Books [Carrington Enterprises].



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NDjt4FzFWY [Kyrie by Mr Mister]



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlIMVVrCmNM [Touch of Paradise by John Farnham]



There is another Farnham song about a simple life.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaEp0VeGIww [Cry Wolf by Laura Branigan]



Cry Wolf does begin You couldn't wait for answers - you had to try - no happy ever afters.



Simple Minds - Glittering Prize https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgrX5MYzrso



Fern Gully - Elton John - Some other world - which may or may not have influenced me - if that was so; it wasn't consciously.



Chumbawumba is another one.



Hoping your weekend is full of the Land of a thousand dances - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYCJ0Yrjz-U

No comments: