Friday, November 08, 2019

Lead; learn; leave: Interesting answers for linguistically-oriented Quorans embedded for November 2019 and compelling Academia.com papers in varied fields of interest

Over the past 45 months I have been asked - and asking - Quora questions. [only about 10 for the asking portion].

[in 2020 I will have been doing it for four years as of February].

Here is a Quora answer someone asked about Your future being blessed and secured:

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to Your future is blessed and secured. Is it correct? on Quora

[hoping the JavaScript is behaving itself!]

And another response/answer I made about despise and detest - I went up close and personal for this one. [I wrote a book called Ever the Westerner in which the diarist-heroine-protagonist says these things in her narrative - so it was fresh in my mind at that point. Though I have not read that script since early in the 21st century].

This heroine would have a habit of saying "I utterly detest" and "I utterly despise" as if those words were not strong enough on their own and she could not say them on her own.

The related words our questioner references are contempt and disdain.

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What does the word "despise" mean? Does it only mean to regard with contempt and disdain, or can it also be used as a synonym for detest? on Quora

And this third question is about "Old-fashioned slang". Yes: words have fashions.

A bit more about me and grouse : I was quite overbowled back in February 1993 when I saw it on a student writing assistant tool.

I did learn later on that grouse in its non-slang sense meant something about a bird.

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What's some outdated slang you used to use that no one says today? on Quora

Another young person asked about dramatic mistakes. I was able to edit the question slightly so that mistaks were mistakes and the previous word agreed with dramatic; and send it to other Quoran topics like Drama as an interpersonal interaction and English phrases - where I have answered some hundred questions.

One question I would like to know -- is how do you embed the questions onto your blog and make sure they're small enough to fit in the space?

mean/answer/Adelaide-Dupont'>Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What do "dramatic mistakes" mean? on Quora

It all started with someone asking I don't want to be somebody; I want to be somebody better.

Very relatable!

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What does the phrase "I am not trying to be somebody but just somebody better" mean? on Quora

My 1987-88 self was seriously counselled and bounced against every catchphrase there was, but my 2019 self found it hard to find a specific one.

Finally I went back not quite so far - 2006 - and found O RLY? which is short for Oh really? and seems very contemptuous.

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What new catch phrases do you tend to avoid using whenever possible? on Quora

Now that I think about so close and so far - it seems to me that the conflict comes in when the "so close" is concrete and the "so far" is abstract.

And of course the "so far" can be interpreted provisionally - that you are still at it.

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What is the meaning of "so close yet so far"? on Quora

If any kind people know about docking - of course one can always add or edit to an answer and indicate that one has done so - that would be so much to the good

And if the person can remember that my definitions tend to be loose usage and anything but exact:

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What is the exact meaning of 'docking'? on Quora

People have a way of asking me all sorts of IT questions [information and communications technology] Whether they talk about burner phones or deafen [on DISCORD!?!?!??!?!] or the digital Iron Curtain I am always happy to oblige.

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What does deafen mean on Discord? on Quora

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What does the term 'Chin Stroker' mean? on Quora

When people ask about chinstrokers I got a picture in my head about Stephen Fry, the multitalented comedian whose Fry Chronicles I was about due for a re-read. A question that helps me get a picture in my head ...

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What is a ‘digital iron curtain’? on Quora

Above is the answer to the question about the Digital Iron Curtain.

Below is the answer to the question about the Burner Account.

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What is a burner account? on Quora

This Tuesday [Guy Fawkes Day - 5 November 2019] I received two interesting questions:

One is about the coup de main

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What is a coup de main? on Quora

and the other is about well-founded fear [sometimes fear can be very well FUNDED too! in fact all too often!]

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to What does well-founded fear mean? on Quora

Did you know not all heroes wear capes?

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to "Not all heroes wear capes." Who does this phrase make you think of and why? on Quora

I thought I would put some Academia.com papers here too so you can meet my heroes who may or may not wear capes:

Maurice Stierl wrote Can Migrants at sea be heard? [Stehl 2019]. He lectures/teaches/studies at University of Warwick.

Markieta Domecka wrote about gender and migration and reflexitivity especially where process is concerned! She is at Nottingham.

Jordi Valverddu [Barcelona] wrote about robotics and robotic devices - "What's your robotic challenge"? Maybe blended cognitions can help.

He wrote another interesting paper about Monamides and how they stimulate emotions and psychosocial states with some friends and fellow academics. The natural thing is about amino and mono- and multi- amino acid or MOA as it is called in the more popular literature like Anthony Hordern's Tranquility denied which was around when I was a little girl. And I read it in the early to mid 2000s. #fuzzylogic #aminoacids

Then I must find out about Max Talanov and Alexey Leukhin - he is an undergraduate at Kazan University and he went to a technical high school in that part of the world. For some reason his Academia.com profile just says "Alexey". Like Max he is into affective computing and neuroscience interfaces.

One of my favourite people in Academia.com is Springer - he writes all kinds of papers about anarchy, anarchism, geopolitics and neoliberalism. He teaches this year and last year at the Australian University of Newcastle - that part of the world is under fire of the catastrophic variety [well, Tenterfield and Armidale and 16 places in New South Wales are and 3 places in Queensland].

Sometimes people feel as if neoliberalism = the living dead and that there is "no more room in hell". Simon Springer's first paper I wish to share with you is all about that.

Springer wrote another interesting paper.

Powerful ideas have anatomy - you can pull them apart and see how they work. When you see how neoliberalism works you may be less frightened - or even more frightened than you are today.

And that is probably not the most interesting paper I have read - I intend to read it on the weekend and the others too.

In the November edition of the Insecure World of Writers the question was asked:

What is the strangest thing you have researched?

I will say that "Active research make the world less foreign and alerts me to the strange in myself and in other people and this assists me greatly in life and literature.

Even passive research is of some benefit and empowering.

Research means of course to look again and look more bravely and deeply than you may have done before - research is a provocation; a prompt; it keeps you independent and wise and honest".

#simplemessengergirl

No comments: