Friday, October 06, 2017

#31for21: hits and memories and Nobelium and #WorldCPDay

""Can anyone hear the voice inside?
Give me some light and I can see.
Give me some pain and I can feel.
Give me a call and I will hear;
But give me credit -
That’s for some too hard.
Remember:
My words, like pearls,
Are found in an oyster."

Jan's apparent last poem - Speechless [Crossley 1997].

Somewhere between the time I re-read and re-published Jan's last poem that Rosemary Crossley knew about it - "Give me credit / that's for some too hard". I tend to be credulous when it comes to a certain threshold of original and imaginative expression, and when Regine posted about oysters and sweets in her latest Would you rather ...


Meanwhile in Calgary, Shawna Mattinson published her #worldCPday message and I looked around the world; everywhere from Turkey to Poland to Japan.

And there had been strong speculation that a Japanese person would win the Nobel Prize for Literature. The popular betting had been on Murakami, whose book I had read in late January early February 2015.

Ta-da! It turned out to be Kazuo Ishiguro, who I had to be careful not to type as Ishiguru, and I'm sure many Lit students would profit from my mistake.

On the TV there were many great scenes from Never let me go which is about Kathy and Tommy and Ruth in a future world of the Uncanny Valley. An uncle had given it to me in March 2005 - and we read Ishiguro for a term in 2003 - The remains of the day. And The life of Pi by Yann Martel for another term.

You know when you don't go out for a day and people will visit you instead?

We had a visit with a neighbour and I showed her some of the pictures I had taken on the Dreamy Fish from the 18th September to the 25th / 26th September 2017.

We also talked about Songlines; Dempsey's people and Dombrovski's nature which I had seen at the National Museum of Australia; National Portrait Gallery and National Library of Australia.

Would have loved to have been in the Asian rooms upstairs when everyone knew about Kazuo Ishiguro. They have the fifth largest North Korean collection in the world which includes Mineral water friends and lots of documentaries. And tourist stuff.

I'd already been shooed out of the Special Collections for disturbing the serious students and researchers.

And it made me miss the interaction and the friendliness of libraries I had known and pursued.

Can anyone hear the voice inside indeed!

I hadn't been so excited about a Nobel Prize winner since last year and Bob Dylan.

Reminds me of two stories Mary-Lou of Miniscule is good published this September and October.

http://writing--projects.blogspot.com/2017/10/a-wonderful-life.html

http://writing--projects.blogspot.com/2017/09/blue-eyes.html

Blue Eyes is the piece about Bob Dylan; A Wonderful Life is about the burial of one persona for another. And how these integrate and include. The author's brother, Michael, is a visible and sometimes invisible presence.

I also read the longitudinal study of Jan Hall and another of David Gibson which was very specifically on The psychology in 1978 as it was then published by Cambridge University Press.

The title is badly typed by Google Books.

I also mean to find Caiohme McCooey who gives the best parties - princesses and zombies was a theme for 2017. And she was published in The Big Issue Australia which I read last Christmas or the week before Christmas when I went to see the You beaut country exhibition of the work of John Olsen. Mama's Buoi is also a good restaurant to eat at with big birdseye chilli and iced lemon tea.

And there was a really splendid mosque in the Design Rooms which is based on one in the suburbs.

There is a wonderful sushi restaurant called Youki's which has been around the country in both sit-down and take-away form. Youki, after whom the restaurant is named and who works there, has cerebral palsy.

http://www.youkis.com.au

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Restaurant_Review-g261657-d5811839-Reviews-Youki_s_Japanese_Takeaway-Cowes_Phillip_Island_Victoria.html

https://open.abc.net.au/explore/96762

Their bento boxes are great.

Sashimi and sukiyaki are still my favourites, and I have developed an appreciation for teriyaki chicken and beef over the years. And Shugo knows how to make good soba or udon noodles and salads.

Another Nobel Prize winner who excited us at Halfway up Rysy Peak is of course Wislawa Szymborska who died in 2012 and won in 1996.

I am reading Greater expectations which is from 2011 as well.

And this week I learnt that Arthur Janov - psychotherapist - had died on the 1st October 2017.


I hope you find some pearls and oysters today.

One good place to look is John Menadue's blog.

https://johnmenadue.com

And I would like to thank Ed the Permanent Traveller for following me on Halfway up Rysy Peak today/yesterday. It was really awesome to read the Letter to Greg.

No comments: