Thursday, August 11, 2016

As requested on Quora: elaborating a letter to impress a famous person

Our Quora person chose their verbs well.

"Elaborate" in particular gets into the search engines.

And "to impress" a famous person - don't we all want to do that?

Here is what I wrote, based on what I remembered in this wonderful book by Ann M Martin called Stage Fright which is about Sara and her attempts to reach famous people.

Read Adelaide Dupont's answer to How can I elaborate a letter to impress a famous person? on Quora

Someone else who is good at writing letters would be Jill Brenner and her entertaining letters to the stamp company. These are what we would call more functional letters.

A lot of English language learners do try to elaborate or embellish as is frequently used as a term of art.

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-elaborate-a-letter-to-impress-a-famous-person

Other people who wrote in are Colleen McLaffarty

Steven Silz-Carson

and Mirasol May Manriza.

I think that is an effective spread of backgrounds.

What other letter writers said: they seemed to have a healthy suspicion of elaboration.

3 comments:

Lora said...

Hi Adelaide, It's me , Lora from My Beautiful Child Griffin & Autism. How are you? Where are you in Australia? My friend there is in Medowie NSW. I haven't been to your blog before and I apologize for that, I need to catch up and read your old posts. Let's stay in touch. My e-mail is: msterriousgirl@hotmail.com

BABALUCCIA said...

I follow you Blogs Following Each Other (Gfc Follow)
Kisses

Adelaide Dupont said...

Hi Babaluccia,

great to meet you and everyone else on Blogs Following Each Other.

If it appears like I write once a year ...

Will most definitely look at you and your work.